Infertility

Intercourse

08/22/2008

Question:

My question is, when I have intercourse with my husband and he ejaculates in side of me, sometimes I see that some of his sperm stays on the tip of his penis. He is not circumcised so I was wondering is that normal? It doesn't happen all the time but it has happend and I have been trying to get pregnant for more than a year. So far I have not been able to and we have done tests and they all have come out good so I really don`t understand the problem.

Answer:

As you have been attempting conception for quite some time, an evaluation followed by treatment, would be recommended.  The evaluation would consist of a dye test to see if the tubes are open, as well as a blood test to see if you are ovulating.  A semen analysis would be recommended for your husband.  Following ejaculation, most of the moving sperm are already in your cervix, uterus and fallopian tubes within a very short time.  The semen that you see on his penis, or that might leak out of the vagina following intercourse, does not contain these moving sperm.

If all testing were normal,  I would consider using fertility shots or pills with insemination (injecting the sperm into the uterus at the time of ovulation).  If pregnancy still has not occurred, I would move to IVF or in vitro fertilization.  You should make an appointment with a fertility specialist.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD