Infertility

Prometrium When Trying To Conceive

08/22/2008

Question:

I have one child, conceived through IUI -- no problems getting pregnant. I am now 40 and have done 4 IUI cycles and am not pregnant (though I thought I was pregnant after two of the IUIs based on how I was feeling). All fertility related blood tests are normal but Progesterone was 5.18 on day 27 of my cycle. P.A. who is doing IUI this month said that she recommends prometrium (100 mg/2x day after the IUI) because progesterone is too low to sustain pregnancy. I am wanting another opinion. Any harm in doing this? From the web it sounds like there are many side effects.......thanks.

Answer:

We routinely supplement patients over 35 with progesterone following IUI.  Although there is no definitely proven benefit, there is no appreciable risk.  Also, at this point, because of your age, you may need to consider more aggressive treatment such as IVF.  I would suggest that you discuss this with your doctor.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD