Colorectal Diseases

Adenomatous polyp

08/19/2008

Question:

I just had a colonoscopy done. The biopsy results were out as follows:

Nature of specimen: stomach biopsy Interpretation in the report: Chronic superficial gastritis. No dysplasia.

b) Nature of speciment: Colon polyp Interpretation in the report: Adenomatous polyp with moderate epithelial dysplasia

c) Nature of Specimen: Colon polyp Interpretation in the report : Hyperplastic of mucosa

Questions : 1) Please advise if these are cancerous and will they spread to other area and how high is the chance that the polyps of adenomatous will re-occur 2) I understand that adenomatous polyp can turn into cancer. How do I prevent it? 3) If adenomatous poly has been removed, does it meant that I`m free from developing into cancer patient? 4) What does adenomatous polyp with moderate epithelial dysplasia meant? Does it meant that the polyp is changing its form in a fast manner to be cancerous?

Thanks in advance for your time. Awaiting eagerly for your reply.

Answer:

An adenomatous polyp is precancerous. If it has been completely removed, you may need nothing else done except surveillance colonoscopies in the future. Ask your endoscopist if this is the case.

Hyperplastic polyps are very common, especially in the sigmoid colon. They are not precancerous.

You have asked great questions; make sure to run them past your doctor who did the colonoscopy for you as well.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division