Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Dental infection symptom?

08/19/2008

Question:

My 84 year old husband has been experiencing general weakness upon any exertion at all for the last several months. His medical doctor has performed blood work, etc. to try to determine the cause. He has even gone for 12 sessions of physical therapy to improve his stamina. The weakness continues. After a dental appointment today he was found to have cavities and infections in most of his 25 remaining teeth which are all capped. The recommendation was to have all his teeth pulled.

My question is: could this condition contribute to his weakness problem he has been experiencing? He hasn`t had pain in the teeth but the dentist said the nerves are probably dead. He has had bleeding gums though.

Answer:

No. It doesn’t have anything to do with that. Before you decided to remove his teeth, a second or even third opinion is recommended. He may get depressed after full extractions. Some patients at that age can develop depression after they have lost all of their natural teeth.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine