Lung Cancer

White spot on lung

08/20/2008

Question:

four months ago a small white spot was found in my lung.Today it showed three times larger by ct scan.Approx the size of a match head.Waiting two weeks for insurance to become effective to do biopsy. The Dr can`t say what this is without biopsy.What are the chances of this being lung cancer. I carry the tb bug but Dr says this has nothing to do with tb.Your answer will be greatly appreciated(i think) Thanx

Answer:

If it has tripled in size in four months it is probably not a cancer and most likely infection. You mentioned that the size of the spot is like a match stick head. Any shadow or mass less than 1cm is difficult to biopsy. If your doctor thinks that it can be biopsied then it will be a good idea to do it. Also, ask them to send the biopsy for culture to rule out infection in addition to pathology. I am not sure where the lesion is located, usually TB infections are in the upper parts of the lung. Depending on the location it may have a low or high likelihood of TB.

Thanks and hope it helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Hematology