Prostate Cancer

Bone Cancer Spreading from Prostate Cancer

08/18/2008

Question:

I am 76 years of age, diagnosed with prostate cancer 15 years ago. My only treatment was 18 treatments of radio therapy. I have a three monthly injection of Zoladex followed up with a yearly visit to the Oncologist, present reading 2.3 (June 08). My question is, does the P.S.A. reading rise very quickly when the cancer has spread into the bones or is it a fairly upward rise and what are the symptoms? I hope that you can give me some answers.

Answer:

There is not necessarily a correlation between the rate of rise of PSA and disease that has spread to the bone. Typically we would follow either the ASTRO definition of radiation failure of three consecutive PSA rises after radiation or the newer Phoenix definition of PSA nadir plus 2.0. Certainly if there was concern for development of disease in the bone, a bone scan could help determine that.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology