Urinary Disorders

Elevated White Blood Cell Count in Urine

09/02/2008

Question:

My husband has had an elevated white blood cell count in his urine for over 8 years. His doctor has put him on oral antibiotics on several different occasions during this time, but the counts are always the same. The doctor has also done a 24 hr urine collection test as well with no other anwsers as to the possible reason for the elevated counts. He has no pain of any kind. The only other symptom that I have noticed is that he frequently has to urinate throughout the day and night. Is there some other type of test that you would recommend us to suggest to his doctor, or is it ok to have an elevated WBC for long periods of time in the urine.

Answer:

It is not OK to have WBC's in the urine. An infectous cause must be looked for. He should be referred to a Urologist who would likely first order repeat urine cultures, a CT Urogram and perform a Cystoscopy.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Marc F Cymes, PA Marc F Cymes, PA
Clinical Instructor of Urology