Sugar in urine

08/18/2008

Question:

Does sugar in urine after alcohol intake always mean diabetes? I had a sugar in my urine after having had 2 glasses of wine. I have never had sugar in my urine before and was wondering if it could have to do with the alcohol??

Answer:

I am not aware of any way that alcohol intake would alter a sugar measurement in the urine.  Sugar in the urine does not always mean diabetes.  Criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes are currently based on sugar in the blood measured in a clinical laboratory.  If you are concerned about the possibility of diabetes, I would seek medical attention and have the proper blood tests (fasting plasma glucose and/or a so-called glucose tolerance tests) performed under suitably controlled conditions (meaning generally after an overnight fast of at least 10 hours with a normal carbohydrate intake for the several preceding days).

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD