Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Looking for Residential Treatment Facility

08/26/2008

Question:

I have a 16 year old daughter who has bipolar disorder and aspergers. She has been hospitalized now over 20 times in 6 years. She has been in an RTF for over a year now and is not getting anywhere, if anything she seams to be worse. We are now discussing a state hospital, but I do not want her living in a hospital all her life. Please point me in the direction of getting some information on where to locate other RTF or is there other options besides a state hospital? I am lost.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about the lack of progress with your daughter's treatment. Whenever I hear of a patient not getting better, I always ask myself is the diagnosis correct?

Did your daughter receive a comprehensive and detailed psychological assessment leading to an accurate diagnosis(es) from a trained mental health professional? If no, then I'd suggest calling your local university, community mental health center or National Association of Mentally Ill chapter to ask for names, locations and phone numbers of mental health professionals who have expertise assessing and treating adolescent psychiatric problems.

If you feel she has received an accurate assessment and diagnosis(es), my next question would be is she getting effective treatment (medications, therapy and special education services) for this diagnosis(es)? If no, once again, I'd suggest calling your local university, community mental health center or National Association of Mentally Ill chapter to ask for names, locations and phone numbers of mental health professionals who have expertise assessing and treating this diagnosis (es) in adolescents.

Regarding your request of "getting some information on where to locate other RTF," take a look at the The National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP) website at www.natsap.org

Hope that helps! Best wishes.

Mental Health Services Locator (SAMHSA)
Find a Mental Health Professional (DBSA)

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry