Dental Hygiene

Lump IN the tip of my tongue?...

08/21/2008

Question:

Yesterday, I woke up with my tongue feeling very sore. So looked in the mirror to see if I could see anything, but nothing was there, then I felt the tip of my tongue and noticed that there is a hard lump. It is about the size of a pea. It stopped hurting today, but when I squeeze it, it becomes very painful.

I have done a little research, but they all say that a lump means cancer but they say it is on the outside not inside. what should i do? I am only 13 years old and female???

XX thank you

p.s. i found another woman on this sight with this exact problem but it only said to see a dentist but i am in foreign country and won`t be able to see anybody very soon...

Answer:

If the lump is as you describe it, there are several things that this could represent. While most are not cancer (benign), it is impossible to exclude the slight chance that this COULD be an early cancerous growth. And even if the growth is benign, it may continue to get bigger.

If you can't see a dentist, then you should see a physician as soon as you can. It is likely that you will eventually need a biopsy to diagnose this lump and to guide any further treatment, if needed.

Good luck!

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration