Infertility

Fertilty

09/05/2008

Question:

I have regulare periods but I am trying to conceive after a misscarraige that took place 7 months ago. I already have 2 boys but can I take Clomid to increaase my chance of becoming pregnant? Thank You for your help!

Answer:

If you have only been attempting conception for 7 months, I would recommend trying for another 5 months, as long as you are under 35.  If you have been attempting conception for greater than one year without success, you have infertility, and should see your physician for a work-up, before starting any fertility treatment. 

This would consist of a semen analysis, a blood test to see if you are ovulating, and a dye test to see if your tubes are open (hysterosalpingogram or HSG). 

The empiric use of clomiphene citrate alone if you are ovulating and have regular cycles will probably not increase your chances of pregnancy.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD