COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Emphysema and smoking

08/28/2008

Question:

I am 30 yrs old. I went to the doctor today because it has been about three months or so that my breathing is not well. My doctor did a breathing test on me before and after giving me a nebulizer treatment. She determined after that, that I have emphysema. I am so torn about it. I am wondering if this means I will end up dead in about 10 years. I don`t know much about this sickness except for the fact that I made my self sick from smoking. I know I have to quit smoking but what if it takes me long to quit?

Answer:

As you know, it is extremely important for you to quit smoking to avoid further damage to your lungs.  Without knowing more specifics about your lung function, it is impossible to tell you how advanced your emphysema is.  It is possible that you have a very mild case which would not be expected to affect your survival.  You should discuss these details with your doctor.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep