Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Tightness in the Throat

10/07/2008

Question:

I have been having a feeling of tightness in my throat it feels like I am being choked or I`m gagging. Some dyas are worse than others. This feeling is not constant it comes and goes. When it`s gone I am occupied and not thinking about it, but soon realize it`s gone and I begin to stess over it. Worried when it will return. I feel like I am going crazy. I worry that it could be tumors or cancer. I have family members who have been diagnosed with both those issues. I recently started feeling this tightness. I am worried that I too have something growing in my throat. Everyone assures me it`s stress and that I need to relax. I don`t know how to relax. I can;t stop thinking the what if`s. I am feeling desperate like I can`t get enough air. I need help.

Answer:

This sounds like some classic anxiety symptoms.  There have been several previous posts about this same topic, and I encourage you to look at them.  I also encourage you to check out the weblinks for more information on anxiety disorders.

The most important thing for you to do is to get some professional help for the anxiety.  this may include medication (the most successful medications are the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like prozac, zoloft and others) and/or counseling (the most commonly used technique is called cognitive behavioral therapy).  both of these therapies (medications and counseling) are very successful in treating anxiety, but are most successful when used together.  Therapy can sometimes take months, but there is a good success rate when you really work at it.

Good Luck!  

anxiety disorders of america
NIH NIMH anxiety

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD