Infertility

Can I Get Pregnant?

09/05/2008

Question:

My boyfriend was in a bike accident when he was a little boy and the doctors said he has like a 30% chance of having a child. There have been times when I thought I was pregnant and then the tests come up negative, but I don`t have a period. Can I be pregnant? Is it possible for me still get pregnant?

Answer:

Your husband should have a semen analysis to determine if he has abnormal semen parameters. 

In a couple with male factor, treatment consists of getting the sperm and egg closer together.  There are 2 ways to accomplish this: 

1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - involves injection of your partner's sperm into your uterus at the time of ovulation

2. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus. 

As your periods appear to be irregular, it sounds as if you are not ovulating regularly.  In our patients who do not ovulate, we usually perform a semen analysis prior to starting treatment.  In some cases, a dye test or hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is also performed before starting treatment with fertility pills.  We usually give patients 4-6 ovulatory cycles before moving to more aggressive treatment options.  I would suggest that you consult with your physician about your evaluation and treatment plan.

I would suggest that you discuss these options with your doctor. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD