Infertility

Wishing To Get Pregnant?

09/05/2008

Question:

I am 26 years old and married, my husband and I are wishing to start a family but my cycle is off. My doctor prescribed prometrium 200mg to me. I was just wondering if women can get pregnant while taking this drug?

Answer:

Your periods are irregular at this time, which would suggest a problem with regular ovulation.  The work-up would consist of a history (stress, hair growth, etc) which might suggest a cause.  Testing would consist of a pregnancy test, a thyroid test, and a prolactin level.  If your testing is essentially normal, you can take a pill such as prometrium to restart your periods.  You can then wait to see if they regulate.  However, prometrium will not help you to actually get pregnant.  If not, you may need to take a fertility pill if you are trying to get pregnant.  Other testing such as a semen analysis in your husband would also be recommended.  You should contact your physician for evaluation.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD