Menopause

Hot flashes and night sweats for too long?

10/07/2008

Question:

I had a hysterectomy in 1991 for prolonged heavy bleeding and I had my ovaries removed in 1996 because of repeated large cysts. Almost straight away I began to have ‘hot flashes’ and ‘night sweats’.

After trying several forms of HRT for a few years and giving them up as I was getting no relief, I decided to let nature run its course. However I am still suffering with flashes and sweats.

I was in a relationship in `96 but it broke down because my partner could not cope with waking up in a wet bed and "cuddling a wet fish". I have not had a relationship since as I am too embarrassed. Please can you help me or will I suffer for the rest of my life? I am now 47.

Answer:

I would continue to work with your physician. There are always new hormone therapy products on the market, and you may find that one does give you relief.

In addition, we have found that several of the medications for depression actually relieve hot flashes, so they may be worth a try.

In other words, I would see your physician and start over at the beginning. I think you will find something to give you at least partial relief.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Cynthia B Evans, MD Cynthia B Evans, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology