Tuberculosis

Positive TB?

09/09/2008

Question:

I had a positive TB test in the past, and since then have had chest x rays, I have just recently had another chest xray for a new job in place of the TB skin test. The results of the xray show a 4mm nodule in the left lung. Evrything I am reading says something about TB if you have a nodule there. Is this something I should be concerned about? I just had a ct scan done and it still shows the nodule and not 100% sure of the results just know that it says non pathogenic maybe. But when I got the call today from the nurse she didn`t seem real worried. I don`t know if they realized I had a positive TB in the past though. Please help, I am worried sick about everything I am finding out.

Answer:

There are many causes of lung nodules, including tuberculosis. You should talk with the physician who ordered the CT scan of your chest to go over the results of the scan in the context of the results of your previous chest x-rays, and be sure to tell your physician about the previously positive TB skin test.

Go to the Tuberculosis health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine