Mental Health

Medication Mixing

08/29/2008

Question:

I`m going through a divorce and just cannot deal with my emotions any longer. I was wondering if taking valium with cymbalta will help me sleep, calm my nerves and help me chill during the day or will it cause bad reactions?? I really need to know pretty soon... Signed, Losing It!

Answer:

Dear Losing It, Obviously, you are going through a difficult time with your pending divorce. Medications can play a role depending on exactly how all of this is affecting you. The first step is a careful clinical assessment, either with your primary care physician or a psychiatrist, as needed. Different practitioners have different strategies in prescribing. My own approach is to favor using as few medications as possible at the best possible dosages. Others may consider concurrent meds earlier. There are short-term and long-term issues in considering medications like Valium, such that this whole category of meds must be used cautiously. Best of luck.

Go to the Mental Health health topic, where you can:

Ram Chandran  Kalyanam, MD Ram Chandran Kalyanam, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry