Allergies

Am I allergic to marijuana?

10/10/2008

Question:

I dont brake out in hives and I dont itch and I have only smoke it a few times when i was younger i smoked it fine no problems but i have not smoked in a year or so but hwen i did I would get dizzy it felt like my throat was dry and i felt like i could barley swallow and i felt like i cant breathe why did that happen to me !

Answer:

Smoking marijuana can cause shortness of breath and can irritate the throat and lungs. Most of these reactions are simply because of the irritating effects of smoke or because of contaminants or chemicals on the marijuana. However, people have also been found to be allergic to marijuana. A response in which you can not swallow suggests significant swelling in the throat, which could be an allergic reaction. The dizziness could also be part of an allergic reaction, either because of low blood pressure or because of difficulty breathing. Severe allergic reactions to marijuana have been reported, including those that require hospitalization.

Since an allergic reaction could have occurred, I suggest that you not take marijuana again, either by smoking or by eating food containing it. You should discuss your reaction with your physician who could refer you to an allergist for further work-up if necessary.

Marijuana allergy

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Charity C Fox, MD Charity C Fox, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep