Pulmonary Hypertension

Isolated pulmonary hypertension

09/17/2008

Question:

I had two echo done and my pressure was 37. Now I am going to get lung function tests done and a ct scan of my chest. My doctor told me that if they come back ok then the PH would be caused by my RA. I know that is very rare but I am in the minority with all the stats for my RA. What would be concidered a rare complication of RA I have them. What is the normal pressures on an echo? My doctors said it is not very high but they want to keep a check on it.

Answer:

A pressure greater then 35 on echo is considered higher than normal. When we look at an echo to make a diagnosis of PH, we look at the pressure and also the size and shape of the right ventricle. Echo alone is not sufficient to make a diagnosis of pulmonary arterial hypertension; a right heart catheterization will be needed to actually measure the pressures and make that diagnosis. You are right: PAH is rare with RA.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep