Breast Cancer

Breast cancer

11/18/2008

Question:

My mammograms have always come back as stating that my breasts are dense. They have not changed over the years. My dr. says not to worry because I never miss an annual mammogram appoint and proffessional exams along with self exams. He has my mammograms taken at one of the best hospitals in the area. Just last week my dad was diagnosed, at the age of 80 with breast cancer = now I am obsessed and worried. I am 56 years old. What is your opinion?

thank you

Answer:

Do not change what you currently do.  The best method to detect breast cancer is through a combination of self examination, physician exam, and mammogram.  Avoid hormone replacement therapy if possible.

Breast cancer is uncommon in men and can be associated with abnormal genes.  You and your father could consider genetic counseling.  Ask his breast surgeon about this.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery