Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Failure to ovulate or missing cycle



Last year in 07 I had problems with missing my cycle than heavy cycle until one cycle under heavy stress (passing of my grandmother). I had a cycle with heavy bleeding for over 2 weeks. I went to doctor and was told I had fibroids  - about 3 really small ones. The doctor order a test to make sure I didn’t have ovarian cancer. The test came back negative. She also gave me a shot for birth control in which I didn’t have period for 3 months. After that, I went back to having irregular cycles. The problem is now I have no cycles at all and it`s been over 6 months, maybe longer, since I have not had a period. I still have other symptoms like the cramps headaches and bloating, but no cycle at all, no spotting nothing. Then I came across several terms on your web site: pituitary tumors and hypothyroidism, and now I am concerned. I don’t have all the symptoms, but I do have weight gain and thinning of my hair. I used to have thick head of hair but now its bald in some spots. Also my legs stay swollen. I just turned 39 this year and I also have a head of gray hair too. What could be the problem and how should I now proceed? I thought having no period was good due to the fibroids, but now i`m afraid. Thank you for your help.


The combination of no periods, weight gain and thinning hair all suggest that you might have a hormonal problem. The leg swelling is also of concern. The specific causes of your problems are impossible to determine without a careful examination and a number of blood tests. Your symptoms could be caused by common conditions that are easily treatable. However, serious medical problems should first be excluded.

You should make an appointment to see your Family Practitioner or Gynecologist for a complete evaluation. If he or she cannot find the cause of your problems, you should see a Reproductive Endocrinologist (a subspecialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology) for a thorough hormone evaluation.

For more information:

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Response by:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University