Athletic Training

Knee problems

09/08/2008

Question:

I am a 47 year old female experiencing a problem with my right knee. I have not injured it in anyway or form. However I do exercise alone & with a trainer every day. The muscle that runs directly behind the knee in the back becomes swollen by evening. In the mornings I have no difficulty walking or doing stairs. However as the evening progresses my problem "knee" becomes worse. The pain is "heaviness" like I`m carrying weights on it. The muscle becomes nearly the size of an egg right behind the knee cap. It is painful to bend in any way. A 90 degree angle is uncomfortable. I`ve tried Aleve with no help. Any suggestions would be great.

Answer:

My suggestion to you would be to follow up with your local sports medicine professional for a thorough evaluation.  It sounds as though you are very active, but this problem is continuing to progress.  Occasionally, you can get a cyst in the backside of the knee that may worsen as the day progresses.  Your trial of Aleve has not seemed to help with your symptoms, which furthers suggests a visit to get recommendations for the best treatment options. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences