NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Wednesday, November 25, 2015
i recently had an allergic reaction and had hives over various parts of my body which lasted about 3 days. i think the cause was a portobello mushroom. if so, does this mean i will develop an allergy to other mushrooms as well? i have eaten other mushrooms all my life with no reaction. i believe this is the first time i`ve had the portobello. is there a simple, safe test i can do at home to confirm my suspiscions? thank you.
You must first determine whether this was a specific sensitivity to mushroom. This can be done by skin and/or blood testing. You should consult an allergist for such tests.
I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati