C-section Nerve Damage

09/11/2008

Question:

I had a C-section 9 months ago and I am experiencing pain in my mid to lower back into my hips buttocks thighs and calves. Could this be because of the spinal? I have had several blood tests done and all negs. results. Should I see someone about nerve damage?

Answer:

Back pain is one of the most common maladies of mankind. Unless you had pain immediately after your C-section that has persisted, with the same pattern, it is not likely to be linked to your spinal anesthetic, but cannot be excluded based on the information you provide here. Back pain that spreads into the lower limbs is sometimes known as sciatica and can be a symptom of nerve injury. It can also be a symptom of spinal stenosis or other problems. Blood tests are not usually helpful in the diagnosis of back pain. What is needed is for you to see a physician expert in back problems who can take a proper history of your complaint, do a physical examination and order appropriate imaging to come to a diagnosis that leads to appropriate treatment for you.

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology