High Blood Pressure

High platelets and high blood pressure

10/10/2008

Question:

I am taking a medication that I have to get a blood test on a regular bases. For many years my platelets have been high and I also have high blood pressure. Could the high platelets be sticking to my artiers and causing blockages? Is one have any thing to do with the other?

Answer:

Although the association of hypertension with a high platelet count has been described, it is not clear if this association is real or simply a chance occurrence.

Hypertension is very common and some patient with primary thrombocytosis (high platelet count) are bound to be hypertensive.

There are quite a few causes for high platelet counts, but most cases are asymptomatic and benign.  In your case, it appears unlikely that the platelets will cause vascular disease.  It is important to have your blood pressure well controlled, probably to under 130/80 mmHg.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section