Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Polydactyly

09/15/2008

Question:

Postaxial polydactyly runs in my family. My ex-husband`s hands lack upper joints, but has creases where joints should have developed. I have been told that a relative has two ankle joints in a single foot. My grand-daughter was born with amniotic band syndrome with indentations across her nose and vagina. Are these "defects" related? Thank You.

Answer:

I cannot tell you what the specific diagnosis is in your ex-husband's family. There is a genetic syndrome called multiple synostosis syndrome that has the type of findings you mention for your ex-husband's family history. It can be inherited the same way postaxial polydactyly runs in families - called autosomal dominant inheritance. So it could be possible that someone in the family has both problems.

While I am not aware of a connection between multiple synostosis syndrome or polydactyly and amniotic band syndrome, this would be an excellent question to ask a geneticist or genetic counselor. You and your family can locate a genetics center near you at the National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center website below.

National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics