Allergies

Chronic cough

09/15/2008

Question:

My mother has had a chronic cough for years. Nothing prescribed or otherwise has helped her cough until now. She was having some sinus pressure and I had her take some Advil Sinus medication before going to bed one night. For the first time in years she actually slept well and woke up without a cough. If she misses a dose she starts coughing again. My question is whether taking a daily dose before bed will do any harm in the long run.

Answer:

Advil sinus is relatively safe provided she has not contraindications for taking ibuprofen or the other ingredients. It is likely she has post nasal drainage which is causing her to cough. Evaluation of cough requires evaluating patients for allergic and/or non-allergic rhinitis, asthma and gastroesophageal reflux. Evaluation by an allergy specialist experienced in this evaluation is recommended if the cough persists despite over the counter medications.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD