Colorectal Diseases

Pain and soreness in right side

09/16/2008

Question:

I have had my sigmoid colon removed 2 months ago due to severe diverticulitis. I am having pain in right side and soreness in right side around into my back around the waist area. Some times i can`t hardly get up or turn over in bed due to this. (SHOULD I STILL WATCH WHAT I EAT, NO SEEDS, NUTS ETC. EVEN THOUGH MY SIGMOID HAS BEEN REMOVED) I have had a hysterectomy 30 years ago due to cervical cancer (appendix removed) I have had gall bladder removed 4 years ago due to gall stones and cholesterol stones chronic cholistisis (sorry about spelling, inflammation of gall bladder). What is possible cause of this pain and soreness?

Answer:

You should have no dietary restrictions now that your diseased area of colon has been removed. Not sure what the cause of your pain is- possibly kidney stone or ovarian cyst? You should see your internist to be evaluated.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division