Incontinence

Kidney Issues

09/19/2008

Question:

I am a 25 year old female, 150 pounds, and exercise regularly. I have been having multiple health problems for four years shortly after having mono, and kidney stones which were a year and a half apart. Focusing on the kidneys they are constantly sore. When I eat certain foods, especially salty foods, I urinate even more frequently, and leak urine. I have been to a urologist and my bladder is perfectly healthy, I do not have OAB. I have been to a homeopathic doctor who has discovered all my problems stem from my kidneys, I was told my left kidney functions at 80% normal and my right at 92%. Blood work indicates my creatine levels are borderline high. I have had other symptoms such as sore muscles, and hives. I do believe my kidneys are the reason for all of these symptoms. I use two pads a day, and urinate anywhere from 10 to 25 times a day. I have been told I`m not diabetic, but have history, my father and maternal grandfather also have a history of stones. In 2004 I had a stone stuck in my ureter for a few days, and finally went to the hospital to have something injected in to relieve pain. Other that that I do not know the cause of my stones. I also am sensitive to sodium and feel my problem is worse depending on what I eat. One doctor at one pt also suggest something called renal tubular acidosis but I have yet to see a nephrologists. Should I go see a Nephrologists and do you have any clues of what is wrong? Thanks.

Answer:

From these clues it is difficult to tell what is going on.  Certainly renal tubular acidosis can cause kidney stones, and it is possible for kidney stones to cause kidney damage with high creatinine levels.  If you are not already under the care of an internist, I would find one as soon as possible.  A good internist can order some basic screening tests for you, and should also refer you to a nephrologist to see why your kidneys are not operating at 100%, and what can be done to preserve your kidney function.

Go to the Incontinence health topic, where you can:

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD