Urinary Tract Cancers

Blood in urine, but no other symptoms

09/15/2008

Question:

I`m an 18 yr old female. Starting at age 17 I began to get UTIs like once every two to three weeks, and this lasted for a few months. Last Monday I got my first UTI in about 5 months. I called my doctor and she prescribed my normal sulfameth/trimethoprim. My fifth day into the medication the pain didn`t go away and I noticed blood on my toliet paper. I went to the ER and they took a urine sample. Results said it still looks like I`m infected and that my body was resisting the medcince. I figured my body just got immune to it, so they prescribed me nitrofurantoin mono/mac. It`s into the second day of the medication and all the other symptoms went away except the blood in my urine. Naturally I`m worried it might be something more serious like bladder cancer, because the first sign of that is blood in urine. But if it was something other than a UTI, would the other symptoms have gone away so fast? And also does it normally take awhile for the bleeding to stop after the begining of the medicince, or should I go back to the doctor ASAP? Thanks

Answer:

There is no reason to worry. Blood in the urine is not uncommon and may take longer to go away than the burning. While it is not unusual for women to get UTI's, at some point you may want to be evaluated to try to find out if there are any treatable reasons why you keep getting infections.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Marc F Cymes, PA Marc F Cymes, PA
Clinical Instructor of Urology