High Blood Pressure

Lowering blood pressure without medicine

11/17/2008

Question:

I was born 18/12/1954 in Srilanka .I have a blood pleasure 90/150 how can reduce with out medicine Best regards

Answer:

High blood pressure can be influenced by a number of factors.  Before discussing those factors and possible non-pharmacological treatments let's clarify something.  I believe you may have transposed the numbers of your blood pressure.  That is, I think you meant to write that your BP is 150/90.  Ideally, you want your BP to be under 140/90 or under 130/80 if you also have diabetes.

Blood pressure can be influenced by a number of life style behaviors such as too much salt in your diet, over weight and obesity, lack of exercise, and stress among other factors.  Reducing salt intake to less than 2300 mg per day, losing weight (even a 10% weight loss may work), starting and continuing an exercise routine, and establishing good coping strategies for dealing with life stressors are all important for reducing BP.  Two other non-pharmacological means of reducing BP are various forms of relaxation techniques and/or biofeedback.

Although life style behavior modifications are encouraged and do reduce BP, it is also important to note that a number of medical conditions also elevate BP and may require medication and/or surgical procedures to effectively reduce BP.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Gerald J Strauss, PhD Gerald J Strauss, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine