Addiction and Substance Abuse

Asthma, weed, and chest pains

I am an 18 year old male I started smoking weed about two weeks ago (only did it on 4 different occasions). On Sept 6th I smoked a lot and one hit made me cough so bad that I took a puff of my inhaler. My heart was beating about 5 beats a second and took about 18-20 hours to get back to normal. Ever since Sunday my chest has felt a little abnormal. I can feel my heart beating hard and it feels like its going fast, but it isn`t and my pusle is normal. It hurts now and then when I`m sitting down but if I`m moving I can`t really notice anything. I want to know if mixing my inhaler with weed caused too much stress on my heart?

There may have been more in your marijuana than you realized, and whatever it was could have caused a panic-like attack. When you used your inhaler, this may have set your heart to beating even faster. I bet if you stop smoking marijuana, you may never have this sensation again, and you can get on with your life. It has been known for a long time that marijuana is more irritating to the bronchial tubes than cigarette smoke. If you're an asthmatic, smoking anything is a terrible idea.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Peter D Rogers, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor