Tooth pain

09/23/2008

Question:

Hello, I had a root canal done on tooth #13 in Sep 04. After the root canal, I had pain in that area (upper left fron around tooth #13) for about 3 weeks before the pain went away. I also have gold crowns on the molars next to #13. Since then every year I have pain in that same area and it lasts about 2 weeks (usually in Sep). My dentist says he can`t find any dental reason for the pain--he does the hot/cold tests, bite tests, xrays, etc. The endodonist that performed the root canal also cannot find any dental reason for the pain. He also did the hot/cold tests, bite tests, xrays, etc. It was suggested that sinuses could be the reason due to the location of the pain and the time of year(Aug/Sep) because of allergies and ruling out the dental aspect. However, I have gone to a ENT (ear, nose, throat) specialist and he did a sinus CT with negative results. So my dentist and endodonist say it`s not dental and my ENT says it`s not sinus. The dull gnawing pain usually goes away in 2-3 weeks and is fine after that. The teeth in that area do not hurt when tapped. The pain comes from the area where the tooth root was at. This pain seem to be a little more frequent. It hurt in Jul 08 and now again in Sep 08--I`m at a loss and am supposed to deploy with the military in a few months. Should I get a 2nd opinion from another endodonist--I live in Ohio--any other suggestions? Thank you

Answer:

It sounds like your ENT ruled out the possibility of a sinus infection but that doesn't eliminate sinus inflammation due to allergies. That being said, I'm not sure that is your problem. If you are concerned because of your deployment, you can get a second opinion. It is best to go to the endodontist while it is hurting because that can help with the diagnosis.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics