Infertility

Infertility

09/18/2008

Question:

The last three times I have had my periods frequently, at intervals of just 12-14 days. I am not sure if it is related but I am also having some sort of urine infection. I am a bit uneasy while passing urine and at times the urine has a strong smell. I have not had any past history of either of the two problems nor I am on any sort of pills. The only change in my life style in recent months is an intensive workout routine at the gym which I have started two months ago.

Answer:

A simple urine test can determine whether or not you have a urinary tract infection, which can easily be treated. 

It is unclear whether or not you are trying to conceive.  This is important in determining how to treat patients with irregular periods.

Nonetheless, if you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  It depends on the degree of hypothyroidism that you have whether or not your periods regulate.  If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

You could also consider having an ultrasound with injection of a small amount of saline into your uterine cavity.  This would determine whether your bleeding is caused by a polyp or fibroid inside the uterine cavity.  The ultrasound would determine whether you have fibroids in the wall of the uterus.  If you are over 35 y/o, I would consider doing an endometrial biopsy to rule out abnormal cells of the uterine lining as a cause of the bleeding.  I would suggest that you follow up with your physician.

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate if you are trying to conceive.  If not, we can regulate your menstrual cycles with hormones, such as the birth control pill. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD