Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Breast Cancer

My right breast hurts



I am 29 yrs old, and I recently noticed a huge lump in my right breast. It is very sore and very tender to the touch. I never had it before. My other breast feels fine. The lump is very strange, it isn`t a neat little ball, it is long, and bumpy. Please help, what could this be, should I get a mammogram or something?


Please call your primary care physician, gynecologist or a breast surgeon to be seen. This should be evaluated with a needle aspiration (to check for fluid) and probably a mammogram, as well. But a mammogram alone in a young woman is not enough to be sure the lump is not cancerous, so please have it checked out.

For more information:

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University