Gynecology

Absence of menstruation

10/02/2008

Question:

I`ve been having irregular menstration period during my early years...until i got married. my menstrual period became regular...i gave birth then i used birth control pills for almost 2 years and have regular monthly period... i went out of the country so i stopped taking pills but i manage to finish the whole pack and had regular menstrual flow for 4 months...but it stopped..i`m 2 months delayed...there were mild pain during the schedule of my period but no bleeding...what could be it`s cause?

Answer:

There are many causes of irregular bleeding and beyond the scope of this site to make a diagnosis or cover all the possibilities. It could be a normal variation as your cycles are returning to normal after having them suppressed for years. You need to make sure you are not pregnant and have a work-up to rule out thyroid disorders, or pituitary tumors.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education