Asthma

What do I do now

09/18/2008

Question:

my child has been to the doctor and received medication for her asthms the medication is gone and my child seems worse and now is running a fever. what do Ido now?

Answer:

Asthma is a chronic condition - meaning that the symptoms tend to come back over and over. If this happens frequently, medications to treat the current symptoms, plus DAILY medicines to prevent them from returning (controller therapy) may be needed. (If in fact your child's symptoms are due to a rapid return of asthma problems, be sure to ask the doctor about "controllers.") Fever is not caused by asthma, and likely means your child has some type of infection. You should return to your doctor to have the situation rechecked. If your child is having clear difficultly breathing, you may need to go to the ER - now. If extreme difficulty, call 911.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth D Allen, MD Elizabeth D Allen, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics