Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Change in gumline while wearing dentures

09/17/2008

Question:

I have had dentures and bridges some 40 yrs. A while back I had new uppers and lowers put in with implants. This was satisfactory until 2 yrs ago, and this new dentist created new upper and lowers. He has been adjusting and fixing these appliances since then - there has been much trouble. They now seem comfortable. I have noticed that my upper left gumline has changed - instead of a straight gumline it curves up quite a bit. I asked my doctor if it was result of improper fit of dentures and he said it was just normal bone loss. I dont quite believe him. I am also on fosomax and wonder if it is the problem. I have no dental insurance so this has been quite expensive. What is your opinion? Also, should I get a second opinion on the work that has been done in my mouth and how would I go about it? Thanks

Answer:

Your gumline changes throughout your life, so some changes are normal. If you believe what you are seeing is not normal, I suggest calling a prosthodontist's office (denture, crown, implant specialist) to get a second opinion. I would also bring any x-rays your dentists may have along to save some of the consultation fees. Taking Fosamax orally (pill form) has not been shown the dramatically affect the appearance of the gumline.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry