Colorectal Diseases

Food passing

09/23/2008

Question:

When I eat sometimes I have a severe urge to go to the bathroom within 20 mins. of eating. I don`t know if it is the food i just ate or not, is this normal? Yes I have had accidents( sometimes I can not get to the bathroom in time when it hits ) Also I do have red blood on the toilet tissue but I always though this was normal since it is red? I was always told to just change my diet?

Answer:

The "gastrocolic reflex" is what causes you to evacuate after eating. It can be blunted by taking an anti-diarrheal about 30 minutes before eating. (Imodium, Lomotil, etc). Bleeding with BM is usually due to something like a hemorrhoid or fissure, but to be sure have someone with knowledge of proctology do a thorough exam. If they see nothing in the anorectum that is causing the bleeding, they may recommend a colonoscopy to see up a bit further.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division