COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Do I have COPD?

09/18/2008

Question:

I am a 57 year old active senior woman. I play, tennis, softball, pickleball and horseshoes several times a week. After I eat breakfast in the morning I cough for about an hour. I sometimes produce a light green mucus and then it is white. I do not cough again unless I eat later in day and whatever I bring up is a white mucus. I do not have shortness of breath, wheezing, chest pain or fatigue. Do I have a COPD disease? PS: I also suffer from seasonal allergies and post nasal drip. Please respond.

Answer:

COPD is mainly caused by smoking. Without knowing your smoking history and other information regarding your lung function, it would be hard for us to tell you what is causing your cough and sputum production. If this usually happens after you eat, it could also be associated with some aspiration. You should discuss this further with your physician.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep