Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Dental implants

12/30/2008

Question:

I heard that there is a new implant system for people that are or have been on Fosamax that has a higher success rate. I cannot remember the name of the system, but it starts with St --Thanks.

Answer:

An implant that starts with "St" is likely the Straumann ITI implant system. It has a potentially "bioactive" surface coating on the implant they have been promoting.

I am not aware of a study that suggests an advantage of that system in patients taking Fosamax, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. However, the risk of dental implants in patients taking oral bisphosphonates is low regardless (much less than 1%), so even if there was some demonstrated advantage, it would be small in the overall scheme of things.

The risk is a little higher in patients taking IV bisphosphonates, typically for breast cancer therapy.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Ed A McGlumphy, DDS, MS Ed A McGlumphy, DDS, MS
Professor of Restorative/Prosthetic Dentistry