Gum Diseases

Root canal and pregnancy

09/25/2008

Question:

Hi, I lost my tooth # 31 last year. It was moving and got infected. Recently my tooth # 30 was moving too and I got the root canal. A few days after I went to my doctor and I told her my tooth was moving again. She said that was only my impression. I got the crown after that, and a week later I went back to my doctor because my tooth is moving. She sent me to a periodontist for evaluation because she said  it is not related to the tooth canal. I am really worried. I am almost 7 months pregnant and I do not want to lose my tooth again.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to address your dental questions. However, I am concerned that you are pregnant and have an oral infection. You should see a dentist or periodontist right away. Periodontal treatment (surgical root planing) is safe during pregnancy.

For more information about oral health and pregnancy, please see the article listed below. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Gum Disease and Pregnancy

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Yiping   Han, PhD Yiping Han, PhD
Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine