Digestive Disorders

Gallbladder Removal

11/05/2008

Question:

I just had my gallbladder removed 7 days ago. I had a dysfunctional gallbladder, only functioning at 2%. I am exteremly over weight, 42 years old, had a complete hysterectomy 6 months ago. I have gained 30lbs since mid July, my gallbladder sugery was mid Sept., in 1 week I have lost 10lbs. Ok here`s my question.... Is it possible that my non-functioning gallbladder is responsible for some of weight problems the last several years. I used to weigh around 185-205 for alot of years. The last 4 years it has been more like 210-230. I`m hoping you might offer better answers than the doctors from this little hick town I live in. Thank you.

Answer:

Not likely. The gallbladder helps digest fats and when it is not functioning, most people will get gas/bloating and abdominal pain but not usually weight gain. They usually lose weight because they avoid eating because it hurts.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine