Infertility

No Period For The Last 10 Months

10/14/2008

Question:

My last period was 10 months ago. For 3 straight months I went to the doctor for pregnancy tests, which all came out negative. The doctor did a hormone test and everything came back normal. I was told to just wait it out and keep trying. It's almost been a year without a period and no pregnancy. Could I have been given the wrong information?

Answer:

If you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  You should have blood testing performed as well, including a TSH level (to test for thyroid function) and another hormone called prolactin.  If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

Please see your doctor to discuss.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD