Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Risk factor?

10/01/2008

Question:

I`m not sure if this should go here or in Women`s Health, so posting it both places.

I have endometrial hypertrophy and the GYN is wanting to do a D&C, followed by the Novasure ablation procedure.

My question is: Since I`m heterozygous positive for Factor V Leiden mutation, does a D&C increase my risk of clots, since it IS a surgical procedure, and it DOES involve "cutting"?

Answer:

A D & C procedure may increase the risk for the development of venous thromboembolic disease, but given the relatively low risk of the procedure, assuming that you will be up and ambulatory immediately after the procedure, the risk of the procedure may not warrant the use of prophylactic medications to prevent a venous blood clot. If you doctor is concerned (and you are not already on a blood thinner), they can also give you a couple days of a low dose injectable blood thinner that will prevent or decrease the risk of venous blood clots as well.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine