Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Dental and Oral Health Center

Tooth pain



I need a root canal done but until this happens what can I take that is sold over the counter for intense pain.


Over-the-counter medications are not usually sufficient to handle intense pain. Pain of dental origin is best controlled with anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen (Advil). If you have no medical contraindications, ibuprofen would be your best bet. If your pain is not manageable with over-the-counter medication, you should speak with the endodontist or dentist that is going to be treating you. They may have options for earlier treatment or other medications.

For more information:

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University