Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Erection problem

10/14/2008

Question:

Hi I have had erection problems for about 2 years now. I did not discuss with my doctor until last august and he prescribed viagra. This works but removes any spontaneaty from sex. Over the past 2 years, at the same time I had lower back/leg pain issues, which were eventually diagnosed as being sciatic nerve problems caused by a herniated disc in my sacreum area. This eventually led to me having part of the disc removed to free the crushed nerve in August this year. I still have erection issues, mainly that my erections aren`t always hard enough for penetration, or on the ocassion they are, they don`t last. Are the 2 problems I`ve had linked i.e. could the crushed nerve in my lower back have caused the erection issues? If so, can I expect my erections to return once I`m fully recovered from the operation (and how long should this take?)? Many thanks.

Answer:

It is not clear if the back problems are or were related to the erection problem. You might want to seek out a neurologist and have EMG (Electromyography) testing done. Even then, the answer may still be elusive. For a more spontaneous sexual experience, you can change to daily Cialis, either 2.5 or 5 mg.  Talk to your doctor.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology