Gum Diseases

Extreme pain after gum graft surgery

10/06/2008

Question:

I had connective tissue gum graft surgery last Wednesday, and all seemed to go well. I was told that the roof of my mouth would be the most painful part, but it has been the least painful part. I am having severe pain in my jawbones, and when looking at the areas that were sutured, I see a long whitish trench along the jawbone about 1/2-1" beneath the suture. It is as if the gum tissue there has eaten away and is almost exposing bone. I had this same kind of pain when I had my wisdom teeth out and developed dry sockets....it was agonizing, and this feels the same. What is this? My doc prescribed only 24 pain pills, and I have already used them up cause the pain is so bad. Can you advise on what is going on? Thanks for any help!

Answer:

You are probably right. It sounds like that your graft is dislocated and you may have some exposed bone. It is not normal to have this much pain from the recipient site. You should call for an emergency appointment and see your periodontist.  Otherwise, you will continue suffering from severe pain. 

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology