Braces

I wish for a beautiful smile.

10/07/2008

Question:

hello im a 23 yr old female, married for 3 years and mother of 1.living in oklahoma. i have been dreaming of a beautil smile for years. my teeth have caused me so much pain in high school...i was always picked on and have barely any friends. yesterday i went for a consultation and they said that my insurance; united concordia(military insurance)no longer covers me for ortho. it stopped at my 23rd bday which was feb08. the procedure is alot 950.00 for dwn payment and 170.00 for 18 months. I CANT AFFORD THAT!!!! all i want in my life is straight teeth. this has caused me so much issues like i have servere social anixety disorder,and im way to embaressed to go out. and icant step foot into college bc i dont wanna repeat of high school. i wanna be a dental hygensist...but not these teeth i cant...that is such a bad image. and i have no self confidnece in my self any more. i need to go to school for my daughter bc i never want her to go through what iam going through!!!!!! is there anything i can do to get my wish for a dazling smile??

Answer:

Unfortunately, the cost of orthodontic treatment is often more than some individuals can afford. Perhaps there is a dental school near you that provides low cost treatment for individuals who cannot pay the usual private practice fees.

You may also be able to find help at the links below.  Best wishes for a beautiful smile!

Free or Low Cost Health Coverage (Foundation for Health Coverage Education)
Medical and Dental Care without Insurance

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine